Gender Differences in Orgasms
The difference in the amount of time it takes for a man to achieve orgasm versus a woman is a real one. A man usually needs about two or three minutes of stimulation to have an orgasm, but a woman generally needs 10 times that amount of time. Dr. John Gray, author of Mars and Venus in the Bedroom, says, "For a woman to experience the big 'O,' a man needs to place the 'O' after his two or three minutes, making it 20 to 30 minutes." 1
Orgasm is different for men than for women. A man's orgasmic feeling is centered primarily in his genitals. For a woman, orgasmic feelings begin in her genitals but send waves throughout the whole body and back to the genitals. When a man reaches "the point of no return," he must ejaculate. The house could be on fire, but his "fire" must be put out first! In contrast, a woman's orgasmic response can be broken even after it has begun. Countless wives know the frustration of being on the brink of orgasm when the baby cries or the phone rings, and the edge of ecstasy is lost.
Here are some other ways men and women differ when it comes to orgasms:
- For most men, orgasm is instinctive. For most women it is learned.
- Men climax easily during intercourse. Most women can't achieve orgasm without direct stimulation of the clitoris.
- A man's climax generally lasts from 10 to 13 seconds. A woman's lasts from six to 60 seconds. 2
- After orgasm, a man must have a recuperative period. A woman is capable of repeated orgasms with them coming minutes apart or in rapid succession.
- During sex, a man's body releases oxytocin, a hormone thought to cause drowsiness, which makes him want to sleep. 3While a woman is relaxed after sex, she often wants to stay awake and talk or cuddle.
- "Men have their peak orgasms between ages 18 to 20; women soar sexually in their 30s and 40s." 4
Questions and Answers
StoriesIf you've been through a experience related to this topic, we invite you to share your story with others.
Share Your Story
Other Things to Consider
Parenting Children: Talking About Sex